Why do some succeed while others fail in the Christian life? We all know people who have walked with the Lord for many years and God is using them powerfully. Then we know other people who basically crash and burn. Here’s the answer. The people that do not succeed in the spiritual life end up that way because of choices they make. Not one choice necessarily, but hundreds, even thousands of choices over the course of their lifetime to not do the right thing and by default do the wrong thing. It comes down to this. If you want to grow spiritually, you will. If you don’t want to grow spiritually, you won’t. It’s really up to you.
Jesus told a parable of a sower who sowed the seed of the gospel. There were four different responses.
- Highway Hearers. “For the seed that fell in the footpath represent those who hear the message only to have Satan come at once and take it away.” Satan comes at once. When you share the gospel with someone, the devil is going to aggressively oppose it. And when someone makes a profession of faith to follow Christ, you need to be there to help them get grounded spiritually.
- Rocky Road Hearers. “The seed that one on the rocky soil represents those who hear the message and immediately.” Notice the word immediately.” Immediately they receive it with joy. But since they don’t have deep roots, they don’t last long. They fall away and as soon as they have problems or are persecuted for believing God’s Word.]
- Thorny Hearers. The seed that fell among the thorns the weeds represent those who hear the Word of God, but all too quickly the message is crowded by the worries of this life, the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things and no fruit is produced.” This is a person who seems to be growing spiritually, but gradually they just walk away because other things become more important to them.
- The Golden Key to Spiritual Growth. And the seed that fell in good soil represents those who hear and accept God’s Word and produces a harvest of 30, 60, and 100 times as much as has been planted. Here it is the golden key to spiritual growth is how you hear the Word of God. It’s hearing its receiving and it’s obeying the Word of God.
- Our job is to go into all the world and preach the gospel, to sow the seed.
- The only way to tell if someone is really a Christian is the test of time.
- If you’ll seek first the kingdom of God, He will provide all the things that you need. Make Christ your primary focus.
Abide in Christ. What does it mean to abide in Him? It means is think your roots deeply into him and walk with him and cultivate your relationship with Him each and every day. Are you abiding in Christ? Have you build your foundation on Him? Which of these categories do you fall in? Be someone who hears and obeys the Word of God.