In this passage of the Gospel of Mark, Jesus is beginning His public ministry. Remember that Mark is a Gospel of action. The word immediately is used over and over again. Jesus is on the move. Jesus is healing people. Jesus is delivering people from demonic possession. Jesus is forgiving sins. He has been confirmed by His Father at His baptism. How does the biological family of Jesus respond to all of this? How does Mary respond? How do His siblings respond?
- The hardest people to reach with the gospel are those who are closest to you. Your parents or your children or your husband or your wife or your brothers or your sisters. This was especially true in the hometown of Jesus, where we read that He could do no mighty works because of unbelief. Jesus Himself said a prophet is not without honor except in His own country. So be patient with your family.
- When we become Christians we’re placed in a new family. That doesn’t mean you’re not still part of your biological family. But sometimes the bond between Christians can be closer than what we call the blood bond.
- Jesus now establishes His new family of disciples. They had such diverse personalities. They are probably like relatives we have. An eclectic bunch, no doubt about it, but these are the ones that Jesus called.
- There comes a point when some people don’t need more sermons; they need to see it demonstrated.
- The church is built on Christ Himself, the chief cornerstone.
- People that work faithfully and quietly behind the scenes are just as important as those in the forefront.
- Skepticism is not a sign that a person is wrong. It may be a sign that they are thinking.
Jesus loves you and if you’re part of His family, He wants to maintain fellowship with you. When we sin against God, we don’t break off the relationship. We break off fellowship. You’re still in the family; you’re just not communicating. That’s because we break communication down by our sin. But the Bible says if we will confess our sin, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness, and communication can be restored.