Wake Up, Suit Up, Lighten Up!
We have a lot of truths to unpack from our passage today in Romans 13:11–14. “Do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.”
- Wake up. There are Christians today that can be asleep at the wheel instead of walking in the Spirit.
- Suit up. Let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light.
- Sober up. The Bible says, “Don’t live in revelry and drunkenness.” Let me put that into the modern vernacular. Don’t party and drink. Don’t let addiction control you.
- Clean up. Live in a way that is good and virtuous and wholesome.
- Grow up. Don’t be the person who has to be the center of attention and is petty. Be content.
- Lighten up. It’s OK to have differences of taste and preference. Let’s not divide over non-essential things.
- Focus your energies on becoming more like Jesus.
- Christ could come in our lifetime—even today. Be aware of the fact that this could be the day Christ comes back. Be aware of the fact that you don’t know how long you’re going to live.
- Sometimes the last person to know that they’re asleep is the one is sleeping, so God is saying to us, “Wake up.”
- You should not have any substance controlling your mind: alcohol, drugs, or whatever it might be.
- God can change your history and He can put a dream and vision in your heart. Chase it.
The Bible says there’s a reward promised to the person who resists temptation. The Bible says there’s a reward promised to the faithful giver. The Bible tells us there’s a reward promised to the person who wins others to Christ. Don’t expend so much energy in what others are doing or not doing. Just follow Him. Just do what He has called you to do.