The Book of Jonah records the greatest awakening in biblical history. That’s an important point that we don’t want to miss. Jonah is also a story about how God gives second chances. Jonah was swallowed by a great fish, but the ultimate story of Jonah is that of a great God who showed great love. We can learn some great things from this valuable book of the Bible about how to reach our culture for Christ.
- To reach our culture, we need to preach the gospel. The Bible doesn’t say go into all the world and be a good example, though that is an important thing to do. It tells us to go into all the world and preach the gospel.
- We need to give the message God has given us. We’re delivery boys and delivery girls, delivering the message of the gospel, the message He has given us. We don’t need to apologize for the gospel. We don’t need to edit the gospel. We don’t need to add to it, and we don’t need to take away from it. We need to just deliver it in its raw explosive power.
- One of the reasons that revival came through Jonah was because Jonah experienced personal revival. Nothing can happen through you until it has first happened to you. You can’t take a person any further than you yourself have gone.
- When we’re doing God’s work, we just need to do our part. The results are up to Him.
- Is God trying to get your attention? Maybe you’ve had a warning of light, a wake-up call of sorts. Don’t ignore it.
Are we reaching our culture with the Good News of Jesus Christ? Or are we being disobedient and running from the Lord like Jonah did? I challenge you to go into your world and verbalize the gospel and see how powerful it is in its ability to change lives for the better.