Sometimes it is easy to forget that the people God chose as Jesus’ parents were young, and in many ways, unprepared. Yet Mary and Joseph trusted in God’s plan and were faithful. This is such an important reminder in the Christmas story; that God doesn’t call the qualified but qualifies the called.
1. Mary lived a Godly life in an ungodly place.
- Nazareth could be described as sin city.
- Mary models for us that it is possible to live a holy life in an unholy place.
- “Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young.” 1 Timothy 4:12
- Mary was a nobody in a nothing town in the middle of nowhere.
- God uses “nobodies” to tell everybody about somebody.
- The Lord hand-picked Mary to fulfill this prophecy.
- Troubled means “disturbed,” “confused,” or “failure to function.”
2. Mary was surprised that God had selected her and not someone else.
- Gabriel the Archangel tells Mary what the name of her child, the Messiah, was to be.
- Mary was willing to do whatever God wants!
3. Mary obeyed and magnified God.
- Mary wonders how she, being a virgin, will conceive and Gabriel says, “For with God nothing will be impossible.”
- For with God nothing will be impossible!
- Joseph is an unsung hero of the Christmas story.
4. God chose Joseph just as surely as He chose Mary, to be a stepfather, a father figure for Jesus on Earth!
- Joseph was doubtful about the supernatural conception.
- The angel of the Lord came to Joseph, too!
- If there were no virgin birth, there would be no sinless Christ.
- If there is no sinless Christ, there would be no atonement.
1. Jesus came to die and give His life as a ransom for many.
“For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve others, and to give His life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45
2. Jesus was born in Bethlehem to bring life in all of its fullness.
3. Christ was born in a manger so that we could be born again!
God has given us the ultimate gift.
For with God nothing will be impossible!
- Luke 1:26-37
- 1 Timothy 4:12
- Isaiah 7:14
- Luke 1:31–32
- Luke 1:46–49
- Luke 1:37
- Matthew 1:20–21
Did you pray with Pastor Greg?
To help you get started, we would love to send you a free Bible and other resources to help you grow in your faith.Get Resources
Receive a copy of Jesus Revolution by Pastor Greg Laurie and Ellen Vaughn when you partner with Harvest this month.Make Your Gift